An interview with Nic Kinslow – Personal Trainer
Name: Nic Kinslow
Location: Las Vegas, NV
I had the honor of shooting Nic while I was staying at the Bellagio. It was one of those situations where the second half of my trip to Las Vegas had me staying in the Penthouse Suite on the 34th floor of the Bellagio – overlooking the famed fountains, Paris Hotel and Eiffel Tower. Despite the fact that I’d already had numerous shoots at other hotels during the week I knew I needed to shoot someone here as soon as I saw the room. Luckly, I was able to connect with Nic and we got it set up. He was a great guy, personal trainer and also preparing for the physique competition world. He works out in Vegas with celebrities including Carrot Top and Chum Lee but was very down to earth and all around great guy – this was an awesome shoot, tons of variety and definitely more to come of this shoot!
1. Tell me about yourself?
At the age of 7 months old I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. It’s been a battle but it helps keep my motivation high. When I was 26 I left my home state of Arkansas to find a place I loved. I had lived in 6 states and love Las Vegas. I have worked in the fitness industry for years as a trainer and manager.
2. How did you get started?
I grew up playing basketball and travelling to compete. After high school my brother and I did MMA for several years and that’s where the passion came from. I started training fighters. He and I both became gym obsessed.
3. Why do you keep going?
Most with Cystic Fibrosis can’t do what I do so my fellow CFers are a great motivation.
4. What is your athletic background?
Played basketball and competed against a few players who went on to the NBA. Then I competed in MMA where I had the pleasure of training with several UFC fighters. Now I lift more than anything and have several competitor friends.
5. What keeps you motivated?
Most of all my own illness keeps me driven and the others with C.F. who can’t do it or who have passed on.
6. Why do you do it- what do you love most about it?
I love seeing the changes.
7. What does your training look like?
I used a bodybuilding split. One muscle group a day.
8. Cheat foods/meals?
I love a big sandwich.
9. What is your advice for someone who wants to get started?
It’s all about small changes.
10. What does a day in your life look like?
Work, gym and food!
11. Pre/Post workout tips/routines?
As much rest as you can get and good food!
12. If you use protein shakes do you have a favorite?
Vanilla Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard
13. Any hobbies outside of the gym?
I enjoy being outside, hiking or the pool.
14. What is the most important aspect of training?
It’s all important – but setting goals for yourself is the most important I think.
15. What do you love most about working out/training/bodybuilding?
It’s a competition with yourself.
16. Any heroes in the field, anyone you admire and why?
I have had the privilege of being part of several gyms where I’m surrounded by competitors who have become my friends. I admire them all…and anyone putting in the effort.
17. Favorite muscle building exercise?
Rear delt flies
18. Milestones that have given you an extra motivation boost?
Turning 30. Many with Cystic Fibrosis don’t make it to 30 so it’s a good motivation boost.
19. Any training mistakes you want to admit to?
20. Favorite cardio?
21. If you could only chose 3 exercises what would they be and why?
Squats, chest press, lateral raises. They all hit multiple muscles.
22. Any secrets you are willing to share?
No secrets – just lots of work.
23. What’s on your workout playlist?
Everything from Elvis to Tupac to Chris Cornell
24. What’s the funniest thing you have seen at the gym?
Hard to choose just one. If you are new though please get a trainer.
25. What are your future goals, dreams and plans?
Hoping to compete this year.
26. Shameless self promotion – gyms etc.
City Athletic Club in Las Vegas.
Stay Tuned – we had so many images and so much variety with this awesome shoot that there will definitely be a follow up post with more images of Nic.